Tuesday, February 1, 2011
Canberra Brown Owls 19 February - Embroidery!
Fancy doing some stitching? It's a great way to snazzy up bibs, onesies, handkerchiefs and tea towels! Perfect for gift giving and it makes hand made stuff really special.
Our first meeting for 2011 will be held on Saturday February 19 at the Downer Community Centre in Frencham place and we will be learning how to stitch with embroidery thread, or if you know how to do that already, bring your current stitching project along! Please RSVP in the comment s box below so we know you are coming!
Here's the requirements list:
* $5 for the afternoons hall hire. Includes tea and coffee.
* a small plate of food to share for afternoon tea, only if you desire
* Something to stitch on. I suggest a plain hankie,a plain (flat fabric!) tea towel,or a onesie or plain bib.
* Some stabliser if you are using stretch fabrics such as onesies or t-shirts. Wash-away or tear away stabiliser will be fine (you can even use tissue paper!), or if you are happy for the stabiliser to be permanent bring some lightweight fusible interfacing.
* Embroidery needles. I use crewel needles, size 9. The eye has to be big enough for you to thread with embroidery floss.
* Embroidery floss in several colours.
* An embroidery hoop. If you can avoid it, don't get the cheap wooden ones from Spotlight or Lincraft. They collapse and are generally useless. Get a plastic one, or a good German wooden one from a craft shop. They are not expensive.
* Wash out pen, or pencil for tracing
* any stitching patterns you might like to use. Do an internet search for some freebies, or buy some online from places like Sublime Stitching. I will be bringing a lot of patterns along on the day, but you won't be able to iron transfer them on - a light box and the window will be available for tracing though!
Some free resources:
And the meeting time has changed! It's now 2 pm to 4 pm, and the dates for this year are:
30th of July
20th of August
22nd of October
19th of November
Make sure you put them in your diary!
Love from your prefects,
Bron, Georgie, Naomi and Michelle x