Our next meeting will be held on Sunday 29 April, and this month we're having another crack at something we've had lots of fun with before: eraser stamp carving! Speaking of fun, we had so much with shrinkies last month, we're getting double crafty this month and will be shrinking again too!
You can pick one or try both (or, as always, bring along something else you're working on!) - here is some more info to help you decide:(or skip to the end for all the important information!)
Eraser stamp carving
I always think eraser stamp carving sounds a bit crazy, but really you can get the most amazing results by carving a plain old eraser! You can have a look at what we've done with eraser stamps before here, and there is loads of inspiration on flickr, pinterest and heaps of tutorials you can turn up with google - just search for 'eraser stamp carving'.
What to bring:
- erasers for carving - just any will do, but make sure they are big enough for the design you want to carve. You can pick them up super cheap at $2 shop type places - my favourite are the HUGE ones you can get at hot dollar. We'll have some spares you can buy if you get really stuck.
- the design for your stamp - remember to think about size - unless you get your hands on one of those lovely big erasers, your stamp will be little and cute!
- a pencil for drawing your design onto your stamp
- tracing paper to transfer your design to your stamp if you aren't confident drawing it on by hand. (greaseproof paper like Glad Bake works really well for this!)
- a stamp pad and paper for testing your stamp when you're done with the carving!
There are plenty of tutorials and ideas around if you google ‘shrinky dink’ or poly shrink, and of course Pinterest and Flickr have heaps of inspiration too!
- the design or idea of what you’d like to do with your shrinky,
- permanent markers - we'll have some, but if you have your heart set on particular colours it's best to bring your own
- jewellery findings - If you plan to make a brooch or pendant then you’ll need findings and adhesive.
- scissors - to cut out your design (obviously!)
- craft punches - Some craft punches will be strong enough to punch through the shrinky plastic (I made those bunny earrings using Martha Stewart and Fiskars punches) - if you're brave enough to try you could bring along your own punches
We’ll have some shrink plastic sheets for purchase at cost and some permanent markers, a hole punch and a light-box available for use.
All the important details to remember
Sunday April 29, from 1pm – 3.30pm
Downer Community Centre
Don't forget to bring:
- $5 for room hire and a couple of dollars for shrink paper/erasers if you need.
- a plate of something to share for arvo tea if you’d like.
- anything you'd like to share with us for show and tell!
Please let us know if you;d like any more information!
Looking forward to stamping and shrinking with you all!
xo Canberra Prefects!