Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My first night at Brown Owls


Here is my story, of fact, not fiction, which I feel like sharing; especially with those that are new to Brown Owls and may be soon to embark on walking into their first Brown Owls group gathering.


It was February I think, 2009, my first Brown Owls in real life experience. A Brown Owls article in Frankie magazine had inspired me, whilst on a flight to Brisbane for Christmas. I remember it well. That was the first time I discovered Frankie as well as the first time I discovered Brown Owls – a pretty inspirational combination.


So….. having arrived at that bar on the corner of Gertrude Street, Fitzroy of which the name escapes me just now, I shuffled on in and eagerly, nervously, shyly, waited to have my name ticked on the brown owls 2009 member list. It got to be my turn and I presented myself to Pip, who at that point I didn’t know was Pip but it soon became very evident that it was she. She was wearing a necklace; its pendant announced “hello”.


"hi, i'm sue" says me - "oh yes i've been hearing lots of good things about you" says Pip.


This was not the response I was expecting. On the verge of saying "oh no you must have got me confused with someone else, we've not met or been in contact before", I luckily, fortunately, thank goodnessly, realised that this was Pip being beautifully warm and welcoming. I left with a smile in my heart and a great looking forwardness to the next meet.


Although we don't all embody the depth of generosity, grace and goodness that Pip does (she really is quite special) it really is quite likely that at a Brown Owls gathering you'll find a friendly, crafty sharing kind of person of good Brown Owl repute, who can assist in buffering any 'first time' nerves.


This time next week it will be the first meet of the Brown Owls Melbourne 3000 group. Will you be nervous? I hope not too much. If you like you can grab me, Sue that is, if some nervousness strikes and I shall introduce you to someone lovely. If I’m not around then I’m sure there will be someone else who can offer such assistance.


To Brown Owls veterans: What was your first Brown Owls experience like?


To Brown Owls newbies: Here's wishing all of you a first Brown Owls encounter that’s as heart warming as mine.


Sue

on behalf of BABs (Befriend A Brownowl scheme)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really lovely! Thanks for sharing. I am about to start my own Brown Owls next month. I hope I can be as welcoming and also not too nervous!
Sandra F.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your blog Sue, I too know that feeling, I started my group a few months ago and I think I was more nervous about people turning up than anything else, once they started to arrive and I saw they were just as nervous it was easy. I too want to thank Pip for starting Brown Owls and even though I haven't had the pleasure of meeting her I know from peoples comments and her emails when first starting out that she is a lovely caring lady, that one day I will hopfully meet.Kaz - Melb Outer Eastern Suburbs Brown Owls